Open World Learning

In our class, we have this thing called open world learning, or OWL. It’s where you take 6 weeks to improve on something you’re interested in, 2 hours a week roughly. You show your progress and the main parts throughout each week for improvement, and you have these things called dragons where you each soar (pass), or burn (fail). You get put in groups and after each presentation in the group, the dragons tell what the owl did best, what could be improved, and how they used their time and how to go through.

For my first owl, I did drawing. I was nervous about presenting, but I think I made a lot of improvement throughout it. The second one I had got stuck on, and quickly put together a presentation about my Tying Tutor practice and how much I got better at typing. The 3rd Owl, I did digital colouring. This was another strong presentation (Yes, there is a pattern here). I really liked this presentation because I felt way more focused and I actually improved way more than I did at anything previous. The 4th one I did guitar. I thought I had a good presentation, but it ended up being too long and there was tech problems. I ended up going through, though, so now it’s the 5th owl.

For the last one, I really want to make it good, so I went back to drawing. I want to work on my current skills and improve on how I draw backgrounds and settings for characters instead of the blank white paper. Also angles, poses, and a bunch of traditional things I never really take time for (usually finish drawings digitally).

Also, the fact I hate presenting anything. After I’m done and my anxiety is gone, I feel like I should do the whole thing over again with more confidence. I don’t like it because I already gave my work and I can’t do it again so I think people are gonna be thinking about the flaws like me instead of the good parts. It’s a big issue for me, so that’s my biggest concern with Owl right now.