Drawing While Being Extremely Bored

So I think we all get bored very often, especially in quarantine when we are unmotivated and wanting the whole pandemic to end. Some things I do when I’m bored is play old flash-like games on my phone or computer, I listen to music (more in previous blog), or I draw (also in previous blogs).

I draw a lot of the time and I feel like even if I’m unmotivated, I can find something to work on drawing, shading, sketching objects, etc. I used to draw a lot of people, but I think I’ve kind of been avoiding them for a while and just drawing what I feel like at different times. When I draw people now, it’s usually actually a real person and way more realistic, unlike how I used to only draw fictional characters while trying to develop a style, and I feel like the more I do it, I improve not a lot because I’m pretty happy where I am, and I just revert to drawing objects and words in weird fonts, either on myself or in a sketchbook.

One thing I used to do that I hate now is only draw on printer paper that was pure white with no texture. At the start of the school year, I starting using a proper sketchbook and really have adapted to having paper in a way more convenient place other than just having random papers everywhere. I use mainly normal sized books, but for more space, I have bigger sketchbooks (1), too.

Something I do if I’m REALLY bored is just listen to a song and any words that interest me, I come up with something to draw from that. If a song mentions different objects or subjects, I usually draw those with context from the song. Usually the page I draw those on becomes just a random journal, like if you threw song lyrics onto paper in drawing form, but it’s kind of a really good “exercise” for me and I like to do it.

If I’m not motivated what-so-ever, I’ll usually just shade in random scratches into my sketchbook and have fun erasing them because I’m really weird like that. I’ll draw random, what I call, hair and erase that, too, and them get mad because I think I ruined the page because erasers never get rid of all the pencils marks and leaves a faded mark on the paper and now, in my mind, it’s ruined. This is a bad habit, but sometimes I’ll be so bored I tolerate it, but if I want to start fresh, I’ll just rip the page out and throw it away.

I also have bad habits of not using pencils consistantly and forgetting where they are, and them sharpening another one and using it, and repeating the process. I probably have 70+ used, sharpened pencils in my room alone, so that’s fun, I guess.